Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Progressive profiling: Why it’s a win for you and your customers
May 17, 2017 by Ryan Phelan
Contributor Ryan Phelan explains the benefits of progressive profiling and walks you through the steps you should take when implementing your profiling program.
- Facebook now pinpoints individual posts to keep clickbait out of the News Feed
May 17, 2017 by Tim Peterson
By evaluating individual posts, Facebook can better isolate and eliminate the occasional clickbait from the average publisher.
- Google I/O Roundup: Search-by-picture Google Lens & other Google Assistant features announced
May 17, 2017 by Danny Sullivan
The ability to search-by-picture or translate-by-picture gives Google Assistant a powerful advantage against other digital assistants.
- FAQ: Everything Facebook has admitted about its measurement errors
May 17, 2017 by Tim Peterson
We’ve made a list because Facebook has had to check its math more than twice.
- How to market your brand using interactive native content – part 2
May 17, 2017 by Jane Loring
In part 2 of a series exploring interactive native content, contributor Jane Loring takes a look at how native storytelling can help you target the right audience and promote growth.
- The podcast option: How audio content can help build a B2B business
May 17, 2017 by Megan Hannay
Thinking about podcasting as a B2B content strategy? Columnist Megan Hannay lays out the benefits and drawbacks of podcasting, and the time and equipment that you’ll need.
- Google Analytics is making it easier to see users across AMP and non-Amp pages
May 17, 2017 by Ginny Marvin
AMP publishers will see some metric adjustments as the change rolls out.
- E-commerce sales reach $105.7B in Q1 2017, to make up 8.5% of all retail sales
May 17, 2017 by Amy Gesenhues
According to the US Census Bureau’s latest report, e-commerce sales saw a 14.7% year-over-year increase compared to the first quarter of 2016.
- Google holds onto its trademark as federal court rules it has not become generic
May 17, 2017 by Greg Sterling
Usage of “google” as a verb does not automatically invalidate its legal protection.
- Brainshark partners with another sales content partner, Seismic
May 17, 2017 by Barry Levine
Following an integration with Highspot several months ago, this new Brainshark combo also merges sales training/coaching with sales content management.
- Amazon says push notifications are coming soon to Alexa-enabled devices
May 17, 2017 by Matt McGee
The opt-in-only alerts will be tested in select skills before Amazon opens the feature to all developers.
- [Reminder] Live webinar: Track, qualify & convert your leads using call and SMS data
May 16, 2017 by Digital Marketing Depot
Voice search now accounts for 20% of queries on Google’s mobile app and Android devices. Inbound call volume is continuing to increase even as messaging apps and chatbots become more popular. Facebook expects 37 billion call conversions by 2019, as social media’s share of mobile calls to businesses explodes.
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- Google quietly debuts Chatbase, a chatbot analytics platform, TechCrunch
- Measuring Content Performance Is a Top Priority for Nearly Two-Thirds of Marketers, eMarketer
Blogs & Blogging
- The Best Collaboration Tools for Bloggers, The Blog Herald
- WordPress begins testing first TV ads in 6 markets, VentureBeat
- 20 Minutes to Expert: How to Perform Reliable Content Research When Time Isn’t on Your Side, 97th Floor
- 5 Reasons Why Your Content Marketing Campaigns Fail To Earn Links, Search Engine Journal
- How to Align Your Content Marketing Strategy With Your Resources, Pushing Social
- How to Create High-Converting Content, Content Marketing Institute
- Why a Global Content Model Makes Sense in Today’s Market, MarketingProfs
- Conversion Optimization: Research First, Then Test, Practical Ecommerce
- How To Create An A/B Testing Research Framework For Faster Iterations & More Wins, Crazy Egg
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- 4 Things Successful Brands Do to Build Exceptional Websites, Small Biz Trends
- A Quick Copywriting Lesson Taken Directly from an Email Marketing Fail, Copyblogger
- Does SEO Writing Scare the Life Out of You? This Will Calm Your Nerves, Jeff Bullas
- How Artificial Intelligence Could Help Fill Gaps In UX Design, Usability Geek
- Stalling Sessions? Here’s How “Visual Cues” Can Unlock the Floodgates, Kiss Metrics
- WordPress 4.7.5 Patches Six Security Issues, Immediate Update Recommended, WordPress Tavern
- 90% of domainers should start over, The Domains
- Brand Consistency Includes Your Domain Name, Dot Weekly
- Domain Spoofing Be Gone: Ads.Txt Will Filter Out Imposter Sites, AdExchanger
- Etsy faces more pressure as new investors buy in, Retail Dive
- Welcome to the Jungle: Amazon’s Australian Expedition to Rattle Retailers, Wall Street Journal
- Why researching online, shopping offline is the new norm, Retail Dive
- How “Alien: Covenant” created an immersive experience with email, Emma Email Marketing Blog
- How to Use Behavioral Marketing in Your Emails, Movable Ink Blog
General Internet Marketing
- B2B Marketers Are Working Harder Than Necessary, Convince and Convert
- How to Become a Thought Leader, Duct Tape Marketing
- The Anatomy of a Global B2B Campaign, AdAge
- Why More CMOs Are Being Elevated to President or CEO Roles, AdAge
- Why Your Freelance Writer Needs a Brand Guide, CopyPressed
Internet Marketing Industry
- Evergage Adds Extensive Firmographic Data to Supercharge B2B Companies’ Personalization and ABM Strategies, Evergage
- RedPoint Global and Precocity Partner to Drive Digital Transformation through Customer Engagement Optimization, RedPoint Global
- Forget the headlines, ad tech’s best days lie ahead, Econsultancy
- How Blockchain Could Give a Big Boost to the Fight Against Ad Fraud, eMarketer
- What Blockchain Means for Ad Tech, AdAge
- 5 B2B Tips for Creating Facebook Ad Images That Work, Social Media Examiner
- 8 Examples of Brands Using Instagram to Showcase Company Culture, Top Rank Marketing Blog
- Are We Headed Towards An Instapurge 2017?, MediaKix
- Confessions of a social media editor: ‘I’m not confident this will be a real field five years from now’, Digiday
- Quick Guide to the New Facebook Delivery Insights, The AdStage Blog
- The Rules of Social Marketing Success: Relationships and Trust, CMS Wire
- Use These 10 Creative Photography Hacks To Crush It On Instagram, Fast Company
- A Guide to Mastering Live-Video Marketing and Livestreaming, MarketingProfs
- Consumers Weigh Digital Video Ad Experience Against TV, eMarketer
- Five examples of brands using interactive video, Econsultancy
- The Top 10 Asian YouTubers Redefining Digital Media, MediaKix
- What Does Live.me’s $60M Funding Mean For Live Streaming?, MediaKix
- What Marketers Can Do to Improve YouTube’s Major Diversity Problem Among Its Influencers, Adweek
- YouTube is bringing 360-degree videos to TVs, VentureBeat
About The Author