Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- How to go above and beyond with your content
Feb 1, 2017 by Julie Joyce
Wondering what’s holding you back from greater content? Columnist Julie Joyce discusses what you can do to go above and beyond the usual.
- How machine learning impacts the need for quality content
Feb 1, 2017 by Eric Enge
As Google continues to invest in machine learning technology to help it better understand and parse user queries, columnist Eric Enge emphasizes the need for marketers to continuously improve content quality and user satisfaction.
- Robots are the gatekeepers to your customers
Feb 1, 2017 by Justin Dunham
Effective digital marketing means not just appealing to users, but working with software and algorithms as well. Columnist Justin Dunham explains how you can use this new reality to your advantage.
- The PPC industry would not exist under Trump’s immigration policy
Feb 1, 2017 by Frederick Vallaeys
Following a recent executive order suspending US admissions for citizens of seven Muslim-majority countries on Friday, columnist Frederick Vallaeys explains how such a policy would have hindered the growth of the search industry as we know it today.
- Study: Your anonymous web browsing isn’t as anonymous as you think
Feb 1, 2017 by Barry Levine
A new paper from Princeton and Stanford researchers says their model for user identification works up to 70 percent of the time, using only anonymous browsing histories.
- Bizible launches first self-service custom attribution for B2B
Feb 1, 2017 by Barry Levine
The new service also offers machine learning-generated recommendations.
- Act now: SMX West early bird rates expire next week
Feb 1, 2017 by Marketing Land
Join us at SMX West March 21–23 for three days of SEO and SEM tactics, growth hacks and strategies that will improve your search marketing performance immediately. Register now and save $200 off on-site rates.
- 5 undeniable signs your competition is beating you online
Feb 1, 2017 by John Lincoln
Do your rivals have a superior website or rank better on Google? Contributor John Lincoln takes a look at five indicators that you may be falling behind your competitors online.
- Facebook starts opening its black box to keep advertisers from avoiding Audience Network
Feb 1, 2017 by Tim Peterson
Criticized for a lack of transparency, Facebook has started making concessions, including talks about private marketplaces.
- A look back at the stats behind the 2016 Facebook holiday advertising season
Feb 1, 2017 by Andrew Waber
Columnist Andrew Waber takes a look at Facebook advertising activity during the holiday season to uncover trends that will help you stay ahead of the curve.
- KFC bringing Colonels to Super Bowl LI for its 1st appearance as a Super Bowl brand
Feb 1, 2017 by Amy Gesenhues
The campaign will include three teaser ads leading up to its official Super Bowl spot starring Rob Riggle and Billy Zane as Kentucky Colonels.
- Pinterest introduces Search ads with Keyword and Shopping campaigns
Feb 1, 2017 by Ginny Marvin
The new offerings should help Pinterest scale its advertising efforts.
- Snapchat rolls out QR-style ‘Snapcodes’ to open links in app
Jan 31, 2017 by Tim Peterson
Snapchat will provide in-app analytics for Snapcodes that are scanned at least 100 times.
- Creative is Complicated: Tips for better brand/agency collaboration
Jan 31, 2017 by Digital Marketing Depot
We all know the creative process is challenging. Its non-linear nature often causes frustration, delays, unplanned expenses and burned-out creative teams. Join brand expert Lesya Lysyj and Hightail’s Chief Operating Officer Mike Trigg as they explore the hidden costs of a broken creative process and provide best practices for better creative collaboration.
- Facebook updates News Feed algorithm to show more timely and authentic stories
Jan 31, 2017 by Tamar Weinberg
Facebook’s combating fake news by improving its News Feed algorithm based on two new signals.
- Apple reports best quarter ever: $78.4B revenue, 78M iPhones sold
Jan 31, 2017 by Greg Sterling
The huge quarter follows three consecutive quarters of year-over-year sales declines.
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- Affiliate Marketing: Time to Adopt Attribution Rules?, Practical Ecommerce
- 4 Goal-Specific Ways to Measure Influencer Marketing ROI, Convince and Convert
- 8 Essential Resources for Competitive Analysis in B2B Online Marketing, KoMarketing
- Google Wins “Right to Be Forgotten” Case in Japan, www.wsj.com
- Sheryl Sandberg addresses her silence around the Women’s March, politics and Trump, TechCrunch
- 4 Brands That Hit A Home Run With User-Generated Content, Social Media Explorer
- Content planning doesn’t need hundreds of different tools, Econsultancy
- Day Three: How to Polish and Prepare to Publish Your Content, Problogger
- How to Write Attention-Grabbing Headlines in 2017, NewsWhip
- Online Content: Is Longer Really Better?, Kiss Metrics
- Why Comedy Central Is Replacing Commercials With Branded Content, Contently
- Why Using Jargon in Content Marketing Isn’t Always Bad, MarketingProfs
- How to Build a Better Lead Form, Contently
- How to Convert Mobile Users to Buyers, MarketingProfs
- The Buyer’s Journey Marketing Guide, Crazy Egg
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- 5 Lessons We Can Learn From Communicating Through Design, Jeff Bullas
- Your Small Business Website Isn’t Complete Without These 5 Things, Constant Contact
- 2017 eCommerce Conversion Rate Trends That Are Here to Stay, VWO Blog
- Amazon to spend $1.49B on new air cargo hub, CNET
- Conversational commerce: What it is and how to use it, Mobile Commerce Daily
- Does “buy now, pay later” reduce mobile basket abandonment?, Econsultancy
- Online Sales Skyrocketed This Holiday – Will Amazon’s Profit Follow?, Fast Company
- The Future of Augmented Reality and Online Shopping, Multichannel Marketer
- Why TV Still Makes Sense for Ecommerce Brands, AdAge
- 101 Proven Ways to Rapidly Grow Your Email List!, Sleek Note
- Email showdown: Postmates vs. Grubhub, My Emma
- Send a Candygram: 14 sweet subject lines for Valentine’s Day, Vertical Response
General Internet Marketing
- 6 Influencer Marketing Mistakes That Waste Your Budget, Search Engine Journal
- Digital marketing spend to hit $120B by 2021 (but only on things that work), Tune
- Why Brand Voice Matters and How To Form It, Simply Measured
Internet Marketing Industry
- Global Digital Marketing Group Introduces Data-Driven Programmatic Buying Solution, Market Wired
- Maritz Motivation Solutions Launches Loyalty Gift Portal for Brands to Engage Customers, PR Web
- New Smartling Mobile Delivery Network Solves Android and iOS Mobile App Localization Challenges, Market Wired
- The Salesforce Big Game Social Tracker Is Back, Salesforce Marketing Cloud Blog
- “A lot of it is taped together”: Confessions of an ad tech software engineer, Digiday
- Artificial Intelligence, Virtual Reality and the Future of Digital Marketing, CMS Wire
- Building Blocks: Andrea Moe, Senior Director of Marketing at Videa Talks Marketing Tech, MarTech Advisor
- US Lags Behind Other Countries in Plans to Add Most Marketing Tech Tools, eMarketer
- Why Personalization is the Key to AdTech in 2017, MarTech Advisor
- AI is going mobile, Venture Beat
- Mobile initiatives top of mind for retailers in 2017, Retail Dive
- Small and Large Local Marketers Have Remarkably Similar Spending Focus, Street Fight
- Why Your Mobile Customers are the New Focus Group, Moz
- 4 Ways to Manage Negative Feedback in Positive Way, Content Marketing Institute
- 4 Simple Facebook Strategies for Small Businesses, Social Media Explorer
- 5 Bold Social Media Predictions for Brands in 2017, Social Media Explorer
- eMarketer Analyst Cathy Boyle on Snapchat Spectacles’ Marketing Chops, eMarketer
- Facebook Creative Hub, Lesson 1, 3Q Digital
- Here’s How to Add Stickers to Your Twitter Photos, Adweek
- How to Use the LinkedIn Notifications Tab to Stay Connected, Official LinkedIn Blog
- Snap IPO: Facebook’s Instagram is Snapchat’s biggest threat, Quartz
- Snapchat’s next Lenses could identify and add to landscapes as well as faces, TechCrunch
- The 4 Ways to Keep Facebook Group Members Engaged, Convince and Convert
- Tips for Segmenting your Paid Social Campaigns, MarTech Advisor
- Twitter’s Blackbirds launch bot for Black History Month, TechCrunch
- We Tried to Spend a $5 Million Super Bowl Budget on Facebook, AdAge
- 2017 Business-to-Business (B2B) Video Benchmarks, MarketingProfs
- Facebook reportedly creating app to bring videos to the television, Venture Beat
- How to Create Video with Impact, Koozai
- The Live Blog: January 31, 2017, Facebook Media
About The Author