Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Are your paid search ads making the right impression?
Jan 9, 2017 by Jacob Baadsgaard
Impression share may not be the ultimate measure of paid search success, but columnist Jacob Baadsgaard shows how tracking this metric can lead to paid search improvements that can really boost your bottom line.
- Choosing an attribution model: When, not which
Jan 9, 2017 by Amy Bishop
Wondering which attribution model is best for your business? Columnist Amy Bishop believes that depends on what question you’re trying to answer.
- Data privacy: Picking the lock on Pandora’s box
Jan 9, 2017 by Lewis Gersh
Columnist Lewis Gersh says the development of smart technology, which can surreptitiously harvest consumer data in everything from toys to televisions, raises concerns that the ad industry can’t afford to ignore.
- The importance of local authenticity
Jan 9, 2017 by Brian Smith
When deciding which local businesses to patronize, consumers choose ones they know and trust. Columnist Brian Smith shares tips for marketers looking to help their businesses cultivate a strong image within their local communities.
- Facebook’s mid-roll video ads will be limited to 15 seconds
Jan 9, 2017 by Tim Peterson
Advertisers can pick content categories they do or don’t want their ads to interrupt, but may want more control over placement.
- Acxiom launches Audience Cloud for unified generation of audience segments and targeting
Jan 9, 2017 by Barry Levine
The marketing data provider says this self-service tool is the first to provide people-based targeting for all selected publishers at once.
- [Podcast] Marketing Land Live #39: Holiday e-commerce recap, Amazon’s CES success & more
Jan 9, 2017 by Matt McGee
In this week’s show, the Marketing Land crew analyzes recent news about the holiday e-commerce season and how Amazon’s Echo/Alexa voice assistant is dominating the conversation at the Consumer Electronics Show this year.
- The CMO-level audit for 2017: Preview
Jan 9, 2017 by Scott Rayden
Columnist Scott Rayden kicks off a series exploring strategic audits, taking a look at everything from the customer journey to analytics, to help you gain a better understanding of where you can improve.
- The cure for content shock
Jan 9, 2017 by Jim Williams
As buyers drown in a sea of marketing messages, how do you ensure that customers will notice your brand? Columnist Jim Williams says user-generated content is key.
- Final holiday figures: $92B in e-commerce, omnichannel retail had big share
Jan 8, 2017 by Greg Sterling
Total holiday sales exceeded $1 trillion; online was just over 9%.
- 10 things every performance marketer should know
Jan 6, 2017 by Digital Marketing Depot
In the age of digital marketing, terms like attribution, mobile marketing, and ROI reign supreme. Businesses are constantly looking for new ways to get the most out of their advertising spend, and publishers are on the hunt for the best offers and highest payouts.
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- As Voice Search Changes the Game, Marketers Need Better Call Analytics, www.searchenginejournal.com
Blogs & Blogging
- Phil Schiller on iPhone’s Launch, How It Changed Apple, and Why It Will Keep Going for 50 Years, backchannel.com
- 9 New Visual Content Marketing Trends for 2017, www.searchenginejournal.com
- Shares Are Not Enough: How to Amplify Your Content and Build Links, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- The Simple 3-Step Process for Creating a Winning Content Marketing Strategy, www.copyblogger.com
- This Is What Content Marketing Looked Like in the 1800s, contently.com
- Where it Goes: The Story of Your Content, simplymeasured.com
- Do Those Magical “Power Words” Really Work to Improve Conversion Rates?, blog.crazyegg.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- 15+ Worthless Words to Cut to Improve Your Readers’ Experience, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- Breaking Out Of The Box: Design Inspiration (January 2017), www.smashingmagazine.com
- Attribution Modeling for Ecommerce: 5 Things All Sellers Need to Know, blog.kissmetrics.com
- EBay teams up with theSkimm to walk customers through online selling, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- From beacons to email: 3 retail marketing predictions, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- Navigation Design: The Overlooked Secret to Getting People to Find and Buy More Products, company-enterprise.myshopify.com
- Omnichannel 2017: Amazon and Walmart Make Moves, www.emarketer.com
- The latest tech helping online shoppers try before they buy, www.internetretailer.com
- Why ‘Amazon Alexa everywhere’ is a big problem, venturebeat.com
- 4 Effective Methods to Increase Your Survey Response Rates, blog.marketo.com
General Internet Marketing
- Five Ways B2B Marketing Will Change in 2017: All Roads Lead to Marketing Performance Management, www.marketingprofs.com
- My 10 Predictions for Digital Marketing in 2017, www.bruceclay.com
- The Only Marketing Prediction You Need for 2017, adage.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- Chasing Exhilaration, Mountain Dew Captures The Euphoric Feeling of Doing With New Global Campaign, www.prnewswire.com
- CloudCraze Secures $20 Million in Funding, www.cloudcraze.com
- Italian startup Buzzoole raises $830K for its influencer marketing platform, www.eupulse.com
- 12 Ways AI Has or Will Change Content Management, www.cmswire.com
- How I Fell in Love With Content Marketing Software, contently.com
- How Nestle Waters Looks at Marketing Tech in a Big Company, adage.com
- How to Create a Facebook Messenger Chatbot, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- The History of the iPhone, On Its 10th Anniversary, www.internethistorypodcast.com
- 9 Tactics to Increase App Downloads for Less, www.tune.com
- How to Build an App for Your Small Business, smallbiztrends.com
- Four key features to appreciate about Google Trips, econsultancy.com
- Google Hangouts API gets hung out to dry, techcrunch.com
- 6 Creative Ways to Engage Your Audience on Snapchat, simplymeasured.com
- Are News and Politics Ruining Facebook?, screenwerk.com
- How to Target Facebook Ads Using Your Business Location, www.jeffbullas.com
- How to Use Facebook Advertising to Grow Your Brand or Business, blog.bufferapp.com
- It’s Time to Get Serious About Understanding Social Media and Content Engagement, mackcollier.com
- Russia Requires Apple and Google to Remove LinkedIn From Local App Stores, www.nytimes.com
- Six months in, Instagram’s dreaded timeline tweak finds some love, digiday.com
- Snapchat vs. Instagram Stories: What’s the Difference?, www.searchenginejournal.com
- Twitter CMO finally explains the purpose of Twitter, www.cio.com
- What Facebook’s Head of Advertising Wants to See Happen in 2017, www.adweek.com
- Why B2B Advertisers Need Facebook, www.adweek.com
- Facebook Live Playbook: Best Practices and Tips, tubularinsights.com
- How To Turn Your Tutorial Videos Into Marketing, www.searchenginepeople.com
About The Author