Penguin 4.0 was announced on September 23, and I couldn’t be more excited. I believe Penguin 4 will be a boon for (legitimate) SEO companies everywhere.
We had to wait over 700 days for the newest iteration of Penguin; it was a long time coming, but now that it’s here, it’s more than I hoped. There a few reasons I welcome this new Penguin with open arms:
- The algorithm now devalues links rather than punishing sites.
- Penguin is baked into Google’s core algorithm, updating in real time.
- The feasibility of negative SEO is greatly diminished.
- The new Penguin is more granular.
- Penguin 4.0 pushes SEO closer to real marketing.
Penguin 4.0 is the relief many sites have waited over two years for. As an SEO, I’ve never anticipated an algorithm update as much.
Note: Non-graph embedded tweets are paraphrased quotes from a conversation between Google Webmaster Trends Analyst Gary Illyes and Eric Enge of Stone Temple Consulting at Pubcon 2016 in Las Vegas.
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Marketing Land. Staff authors are listed here.