Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- GDPR: Publishers and martech will rely on each other
May 16, 2017 by Todd Ruback
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) goes into effect next year, and the impact on the martech industry will be significant. Columnist Todd Ruback explains how it’s already changing the dynamic between publishers and martech vendors.
- Why the Google Search Network isn’t working for your B2B business
May 16, 2017 by Pauline Jakober
Many B2B organizations feel that PPC doesn’t work for them, and some are right. But columnist Pauline Jakober urges these businesses to explore a few ideas before giving up on their paid search program.
- How to build an SEO strategy to dominate your market
May 16, 2017 by Jeremy Knauff
Want to build an SEO strategy that can withstand algorithm updates, growing competitors and industry fluctuations? Columnist Jeremy Knauff explains how to do this by rethinking your approach.
- Pinterest will use image recognition to target ads, including in Lens results
May 16, 2017 by Tim Peterson
Pinterest will parse the objects in an image to include ads in galleries of related pins.
- Twitter co-founder Biz Stone returning to company to help ‘guide culture’
May 16, 2017 by Greg Sterling
Stone says he isn’t replacing anyone, just filling hole that he left.
- 35 ways to improve SEO & SEM performance, only at SMX Advanced
May 16, 2017 by Marketing Land
More than 55 of the world’s most knowledgeable search marketers will present at Search Marketing Expo – SMX Advanced, June 12-14 in Seattle. You’ll learn advanced SEO and SEM tactics they’ve employed to deliver successful campaigns, and what to expect from search marketing in the coming year. See who’s speaking. SMX Advanced attendees return year […]
- Facebook admits its 10th measurement mistake since September
May 16, 2017 by Tim Peterson
The mistake — mischarged clicks on video carousel ads by smartphone web users — is the first that directly affected advertisers’ wallets.
- Instagram copies Snapchat’s selfie masks, as Facebook and Messenger already have
May 16, 2017 by Tim Peterson
Instagram could also copy Snapchat by selling sponsored face filters to advertisers.
- How blockchain-based identity could change digital marketing
May 16, 2017 by Barry Levine
The MetaMask plug-in turns Chrome into a blockchain browser, offering a glimpse of how a new kind of consumer identity and e-commerce might work.
- IAB releases final Dynamic Content Ad Standard
May 16, 2017 by Ginny Marvin
The schema is now available to create, serve and measure programmatic personalized ads.
- How a free email course can help you sell more physical products
May 16, 2017 by Ben Jacobson
Contributor Ben Jacobson shares step-by-step instructions for building a free online course that will lead to a highly targeted list of people who are ready to buy.
- What will Programmatic 3.0 look like? The intersection of Wall Street and Madison Avenue
May 16, 2017 by Rob Rasko
Columnist Rob Rasko believes the next iteration of programmatic will look more like a futures market, where advertisers could buy inventory for future use and lock it in a guaranteed contract.
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
Blogs & Blogging
- How Do You Blog Consistently When You Have Very Little Time?, Problogger
- How These 8 Bloggers Got Tons More Traffic From Pinterest, Tailwind Blog
- How to Promote Your Blog Posts Using Social Media: A Guide for Marketers, Social Media Examiner
- Revealed: These Tactics Will Help You Win at Guest Posting, The Blog Tyrant
- Amazon is still executing Bezos’s 1997 plan, VentureBeat
- Apple’s New Campus: An Exclusive Look Inside the Mothership, WIRED
- Facebook Gets Slap on the Wrist from 2 European Privacy Regulators, New York Times
- How Content Modeling Helps Set Your Content Free, CMS Wire
- How to Create Better Content for Any Point in the Funnel, Simply Measured
- How to Improve Your Content Marketing with Data, CopyPressed
- Why Content Strategists Take Social Shares Seriously (And You Should Too), Contently
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- Introducing Mavo: Create Web Apps Entirely By Writing HTML!, Smashing Magazine
- What Is a Favicon? (And How to Add One to Your WordPress Website), WPExplorer
- 7 Ways to Use Digital Coupons to Grow Your Retail Sales, Small Biz Trends
- How Time Out has grown e-commerce revenue by 45 percent in a year, Digiday
- 7 Organic Tips for Growing Your Email ROI, Content Marketing Institute
- Email automation 101, VerticalResponse
- How an email marketing company does internal emails, Emma Email Marketing Blog
- How Pairing Email With Social Targeting Improves The Quality Of Your Leads, Webpresence Inbound Marketing Blog
- Merchandising for Email Marketing, Practical Ecommerce
- The 3 Emails Every Retailer Should Send, Movable Ink Blog
General Internet Marketing
- 10 Tips to Find the Right Influence Marketer for Your Brand, Small Biz Trends
- 3 Mistakes Field Marketers Make (And, How to Avoid Them), Marketo
- How to Make Your Marketing Personal (But Not Creepy and Weird), Jeff Bullas
- Relief Is Coming For CPG Marketers Stuck On Data Desert Island, AdExchanger
- Six ways brand marketers can bring the funny without being cringeworthy, Econsultancy
- We Made You a ‘Game of Thrones’-Style Map of the Marketing World, Contently
- What’s Stalking CMOs?, The Direct Markting Association
- Why Customer Empowerment Is the Key to Great Retention Rates, Kiss Metrics
Internet Marketing Industry
- Brainshark and Seismic Partner to Optimize Sales Readiness and Performance, Brainshark
- Cisco Recognises Dimension Data With A Global Award For Marketing Innovation, Real Wire
- Cuebiq, Balyasny and Elevate Innovation Partners Announce Strategic Partnership, PR Web
- Get a sneak peek into the future of Emma, Emma Email Marketing Blog
- Introducing the New Eyeota Data Desk, Eyeota
- NewVoiceMedia accelerates expansion in Germany with Munich office, Real Wire
- Viant Advertising Cloud Named Best Performance Marketing Technology, PR Newswire
- An Ad-Tech Firm and a Survey Player Want to Improve Programmatic Buying by Pre-Screening Audiences, Adweek
- The Marketing Impact of AI & Machine-Learning: 3 Predictions, MarketingProfs
- Amazon Announces “Notifications for Alexa” Feature Is Coming Soon – Sign-Up to Stay Tuned, Amazon Alexa Blogs
- Amazon begins rewarding top-performing Alexa Skill developers with direct payments, TechCrunch
- Three great sources for mobile consumer data (and why they are so great), Econsultancy
- Increasing Your Reach on Social Media, Compukol
- Instagram launches selfie filters, copying the last big Snapchat feature, TechCrunch
- Instagram May Allow Users to Search Publicly Shared Stories By Location, Adweek
- Is Snapchat Really Right For Your Small Business?, Small Biz Trends
- Refine Your Facebook Remarketing with Tiers & Time On Site, 3Q Digital
- Social Media Campaigns: 13 Proven Tips to Boost Your Campaign Results, The Buffer Blog
- The Social Networks Influencers Use Most and Prefer, MarketingProfs
- What to Know About Facebook’s 2017 Ad Updates, Merkle
- Meet the Innovation Spotlight Winner for Creativity Around Video, Facebook for Business
- When It Comes to Digital Video, Protecting Brand Safety Is Key, Adweek
- YouTube TV Adds More Channels to Its Lineup, Hoping to Differentiate Itself From Hulu’s Live Offering, Adweek
About The Author