Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- 51% of US adults have bought something online via their cellphones [Pew data]
Dec 19, 2016 by Matt McGee
Latest Pew e-commerce research also shows that 80 percent shop online, but buying isn’t a frequent occurrence for most.
- Google studying ways to fix offensive search suggestions & results
Dec 19, 2016 by Danny Sullivan
Facing criticism over “fake news,” inappropriate search suggestions and more, the search company is looking for long-term and comprehensive solutions.
- Why you should budget for call tracking in 2017
Dec 19, 2016 by Digital Marketing Depot
With the current fiscal year winding down and budgeting for FY2017 gearing up, marketers are faced with the annual task of tracking effectiveness and justifying budgets. The key is to invest in tools that help control costs and boost revenue—not just within the purview of marketing, but across the entire organization.
- Should you create device-specific PPC campaigns?
Dec 19, 2016 by Aaron Levy
Columnist Aaron Levy, a big advocate of PPC segmentation, discusses the pros and cons of device-specific AdWords campaigns and shares tips on how to get started.
- Why data amplifiers matter in a world of omnichannel discovery
Dec 19, 2016 by Adam Dorfman
Local customers now expect a seamless omnichannel experience with your brand, and columnist Adam Dorfman believes that targeting data amplifiers will ensure that you’re present with accurate data across devices and channels.
- Walmart’s 2016 holiday videos on YouTube have earned over 75M views – far more than any other brand
Dec 19, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
Walmart has scored more than double the number video views than the second leading brand on YouTube for holiday-related content.
- IBM’s Watson is now working as a psychologist for ad tech firm Unruly
Dec 19, 2016 by Barry Levine
The UK-based firm is employing the supercomputer to generate large numbers of psychological profiles of potential buyers at scale, cheaply.
- Shaping the shopping experience: Our top retail columns for 2016
Dec 19, 2016 by Desiree Everts DeNunzio
What retail trends captivated our readers this past year? From IoT to Amazon, our most popular retail columns covered a wide range of topics. Read on for more!
- 5 steps to making ‘SENSE’ of early lifecycle marketing
Dec 19, 2016 by Jordan Elkind
Columnist Jordan Elkind discusses the early phase of lifecycle marketing and how you can build a program that will engage and convert potential customers.
- On brands, death and social media
Dec 19, 2016 by Chris Kerns
When a celebrity dies, how should brands respond on social media, if at all? Columnist Chris Kerns shares tips on how to approach the practice responsibly and with sensitivity.
- Marketing Land’s Top 10 News Stories Of 2016: Facebook’s measurement errors, Snapchat geofilters & more
Dec 19, 2016 by Matt McGee
We begin two weeks of year-in-review coverage with a look at the most popular news stories of 2016 as covered by the Marketing Land editorial team.
- Measuring cost in seconds: How short delays lead to users ditching slow websites
Dec 16, 2016 by Digital Marketing Depot
This research conducted by Aberdeen Group dives into the true cost of website performance and shows how leading organizations are able to boost their sites to eliminate delays, increase visitors and improve overall revenue. Download this white paper, sponsored by SOASTA, to learn how the most successful organizations use every tool at their disposal.
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
Blogs & Blogging
- 5 Tips to Blog Faster, www.problogger.net
- Content Marketing Tips for First-Time Bloggers, www.blogherald.com
- Yahoo throws a big company event called ‘Ultimate House Party’, Business Insider
- Apple to appeal EU tax ruling this week, says it was a ‘convenient target’, Reuters
- Apple, Google, and Uber join list of tech companies refusing to build Muslim registry, www.theverge.com
- Snapchat has had deal talks with Lily Robotics, Narrative, www.businessinsider.com
- 6 Steps to Get Your Whole Company Involved in Content Marketing, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- Content and personalisation: How to make it work, www.branded3.com
- Five Content Marketing Trends to Watch in 2017, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- The Truth About Creating High-Quality Native Content, www.convinceandconvert.com
- Why Content Length Does Not Equal Content Quality, www.stonetemple.com
- Do You Really Need to Test Your Site to Improve Your Conversion Rate?, blog.kissmetrics.com
- Here’s How to Spot Web Design Bottlenecks Strangling Your Visitors, blog.crazyegg.com
- The 7-Step Formula We Follow to Grow Organic Traffic that Converts, blog.hubstaff.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- 10 inspiring examples of design-led brands, econsultancy.com
- How to Create Killer PPC Ad Copy, smallbiztrends.com
- .US Wants to Sell 1 & 2 Character Domains & Allow Privacy on All .US Registrations, www.thedomains.com
- Google’s Waymo domain strategy and what it says about domain choices, domainnamewire.com
- 53% of Women Made Purchases Due to Influencer Posts, www.adweek.com
- Online spending picks up as the holiday season advances, www.internetretailer.com
- Pilots Who Fly Amazon Planes Suggest Company Might Not Deliver, Bloomberg
- Planning Post-holiday Ecommerce Revenue, www.practicalecommerce.com
- UPS, FedEx fight to stay ahead of gift package deluge, USA Today
- What were the biggest ecommerce trends in 2016?, econsultancy.com
- Why This Holiday Season Points to Small Retailer Success, longitudes.ups.com
- WooCommerce Powers 42% of All Online Stores, wptavern.com
- 3Q16 Email Marketing Benchmarks and Trends, www.marketingprofs.com
- 4 Ways to Jumpstart Email Marketing for 2017, www.practicalecommerce.com
General Internet Marketing
- Google will launch a refreshed Contributor ad-removal service in early 2017, venturebeat.com
- The 6 Biggest Marketing Storylines of 2016, contently.com
- The Top 6 Reasons Why You Should Use Influencer Marketing in 2017, www.socialmediaexplorer.com
- Why 2017 Must Be the Year Marketers and Media Rebuild Trust, www.adweek.com
- Why People-Based Marketing Platforms Will Begin to Dominate in 2017, streetfightmag.com
- 5 MarTech Considerations BEFORE You Invest, blog.marketo.com
- Why creativity and automation aren’t mutually exclusive, venturebeat.com
- 4 ways retailers can engage holiday shoppers via SMS, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- Facebook Messenger launches 6-screen group video chat with selfie masks, techcrunch.com
- How Marketers Can Convert Mobile Shoppers Into Sales, streetfightmag.com
- The (Not So) Secret Powers Of The Mobile Browser, www.smashingmagazine.com
- Alexa and Siri are listening — and Amazon and Apple are learning from them, Seattle Times
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg built an AI personal assistant named Jarvis, qz.com
- 10 Exceptional Social Media Campaigns in 2016, www.practicalecommerce.com
- 5 Under-the-Radar Social Media Studies to Make You A Smarter Marketer, blog.bufferapp.com
- 6 Ways Brands Are Using Twitter Moments, www.internetmarketingninjas.com
- A New Look for Posts, blog.business.instagram.com
- As Social Platforms Rapidly Evolve Into Media Companies, What Does This Mean for Brands?, www.adweek.com
- Facebook encourages text statuses with new colored backgrounds, techcrunch.com
- Google is threatening to throw me off Google+, but won’t tell me why, arstechnica.co.uk
- How to Build Community on Facebook, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- How to Successfully Market on Reddit, www.searchenginejournal.com
- Instagram’s Jim Squires Shares 7 Predictions for SMBs in 2017, www.adweek.com
- Learn How to Moderate your Facebook Page, www.facebook.com
- Personalizing Pinterest’s new user experience abroad, engineering.pinterest.com
- The 5 Best Snapchat Influencer Marketing Tactics, mediakix.com
- Twitter will live stream the Golden Globes’ red carpet pre-show, techcrunch.com
- Why Instagram Matters to Marketing, www.marketingprofs.com
- A Look Back On Livestreaming In 2016, smallbiztrends.com
- Facebook launches the first preview of React VR, techcrunch.com
- Growth of Video Content Marketing Eases, Survey Finds, www.emarketer.com
- How fashion publishers are experimenting with Instagram Live, digiday.com
- Making the Brand: How Live Video Can Change Everything, www.martechadvisor.com
- The Top 4 Best Viral Video Marketing Campaigns of 2016, www.jeffbullas.com
- Why Your Video Needs Music (And Where To Get it), tubularinsights.com