Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Ad extensions for the entire decision journey
Dec 7, 2016 by Mona Elesseily
How can you use ad extensions to move potential customers further down the sales funnel? Columnist Mona Elesseily shares some tactical advice.
- Marketing automation is like icing on the cake
Dec 7, 2016 by Mary Wallace
Does your marketing program have all the right ingredients? Columnist Mary Wallace explains why marketing automation is key to sweetening your efforts and engaging leads.
- SEO trends to prepare for in 2017
Dec 7, 2016 by Pratik Dholakiya
What’s on the horizon for search engine optimization (SEO) practitioners in the coming year? Columnist Pratik Dholakiya shares his predictions.
- WordPress 4.7 is out, targets new businesses with easier website creation
Dec 7, 2016 by Matt McGee
Latest version of the No. 1 CMS simplifies the website creation process for new business owners and includes the new Twenty Seventeen default theme.
- YouTube’s top trending videos in 2016: Adele & James Corden’s Carpool Karaoke wins most popular video of the year
Dec 7, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
According to YouTube, 2016’s most popular videos generated 25-million hours of watch time and a combined 550 million views.
- Top 10 YouTube ads in 2016: Mobile Strike’s Super Bowl 50 ad “Arnold’s Fight” ranks #1
Dec 7, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
Five of the top ten most watched YouTube ads this year were Super Bowl 50 spots.
- 4 things that can go wrong in an influencer campaign (and how to fix them)
Dec 7, 2016 by Caitlin Jeansonne
Even the best influencer marketing campaigns can face challenges. Contributor Caitlin Jeansonne discusses the issues that can arise and how marketers should deal with them.
- Publishers are not detecting most ad blockers, says company behind new ad blocking solution
Dec 7, 2016 by Barry Levine
San Francisco-based Streamwize tested PageFair and several other detectors, and found that they only see about 20 percent of ad blockers.
- What can your industry achieve with content? Here are results across 15 verticals
Dec 7, 2016 by Kerry Jones
Columnist Kerry Jones shares industry benchmarks for content marketing success based on actual results in 15 verticals.
- The year in review: Top 5 MarTech insights and showstoppers
Dec 7, 2016 by Scott Brinker
As we turn our eyes towards the new year and the next MarTech conference we have much to reflect on. The pace of change and adoption of marketing technologies continues to accelerate. And more than ever, marketing technology is playing a critical role in this time of massive upheaval and digital disruption.
- Report: iPhone sees sales gains though Android at 75 percent share globally
Dec 7, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Nokia’s Android-based return to smartphone market may come next year, with help from Google.
- The truth about transparency in digital advertising
Dec 7, 2016 by Andrew Waber
As advertisers continue to wrestle with the issue of transparency, columnist Andrew Waber outlines the kinds of questions you should ask when vetting potential technology partners.
- How Facebook’s measurement errors have eroded marketers’ trust
Dec 7, 2016 by Tim Peterson
Facebook’s measurement errors have led some brands to question their investments and agencies to recalibrate their content evaluations.
- TAG awards first ‘Certified Against Fraud’ seal to 16 digital advertising companies
Dec 7, 2016 by Ginny Marvin
Google, Integral Ad Science, WP’s GroupM are among the initial recipients.
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- Cautionary Data Analytics Lessons from the Battle of Britain, www.cmswire.com
Blogs & Blogging
- 4 Proven Methods to Pitch Yourself as a Guest Writer, www.searchenginejournal.com
- The Best Tools to Write Killer Blog Posts, www.portent.com
- Facebook and Google make lies as pretty as truth, www.theverge.com
- Facebook No. 1 in Tech, No. 2 Overall in Glassdoor’s Best Places to Work in 2017, www.adweek.com
- Google and Slack deepen partnership to help teams work better together , https://blog.google/topics/google-cloud
- Pinterest Snags Former Walmart Head Of Marketing, adage.com
- Twitter founder feels ‘complicated’ about Donald Trump’s tweeting, www.theguardian.com
- 5 KPIs All Content Marketers Should Know, www.verticalmeasures.com
- Committed to Content Marketing? Prioritize the Right Things, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- Content Curation in an Age of Fake News, with Dave Pell, www.copyblogger.com
- Content Marketing: 4 Ways to Make Sure Your Mobile Content Connects, www.toprankblog.com
- Developing Content for Niche vs. Mass Audiences, www.searchenginepeople.com
- Publishers are using Medium to entice readers and try new types of content, digiday.com
- State of Content Marketing 2017: The 3 Traits That Will Make Brands Truly Successful, contently.com
- The 7 Content Marketing Trends That Matter in 2017, www.convinceandconvert.com
- 10 Questions to Ask Yourself When Your Conversion Rates Are Below Average, unbounce.com
- Five ways luxury brands attempt to increase conversions online, econsultancy.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- 3 Lesser-Known Copywriting Techniques that Keep Readers Glued to Your Content, www.copyblogger.com
- Best Practices For Animated Progress Indicators, www.smashingmagazine.com
- Don’t Use These Words in 2017 – Avoid them at all costs, www.socialmediaexplorer.com
- How can marketers employ design thinking?, econsultancy.com
- Online shoppers drive site traffic and online sales higher, www.internetretailer.com
- Social media stars in China turn to e-commerce, www.internetretailer.com
- How Consumers Feel About Marketing Emails, www.marketingprofs.com
- Six things every email marketer should be doing now, econsultancy.com
General Internet Marketing
- 2016 Annual Creative Agency Leaderboard, www.thinkwithgoogle.com
- 4 Ways Disruptive Marketing is Winning Over Customers, blog.kissmetrics.com
- 9 Ways to Grow Your Brand Online, Like The Pros, www.cmswire.com
- Account-Based Everything and Why B2B Content Marketers Should Fish with Spears: an Interview with Jon Miller, www.skyword.com
- Here Are 5 Hot Cultural Trends That Marketers Need to Know for 2017, www.adweek.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- Emma Adds Two More Industry Veterans to Leadership Team, myemma.com
- Neustar Launches Data Directory to Help Brands Create More Valuable Connected Customer Experiences, www.businesswire.com
- Predictive Behavior Scoring for Pardot, Similar Won Accounts for ABM, www.infer.com
- Building Blocks: Seth Cassel, President at EveryMundo Talks Marketing Tech, www.martechadvisor.com
- How AI will help us understand social media, venturebeat.com
- Marketers Lean on Automation Technology to Drive Leads, www.emarketer.com
- 3 tips to tackle mobile for marketing and retail, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- 4 Secrets of Mobile Retention, blog.marketo.com
- Google AMP and the Publishing Industry: What Happens Next?, www.distilled.net
- November 2016 was the best month ever for App Store sales, techcrunch.com
- How Brands Can Build Trust with Millennials, multichannelmerchant.com
- #ThisHappened, www.Twitter.com
- 5 Habits of Your Social, Mobile Customers, www.conversocial.com
- Day in the Life: How the vp of Sweet makes content for Snapchat Discover, digiday.com
- Determining the Relevancy of Google+, smallbiztrends.com
- Facebook Ads vs. Google AdWords: Which Advertising Service Should I Use?, blog.crazyegg.com
- Facebook Workplace launches a new platform to compete in the work-app wars, venturebeat.com
- How to Automate Your Social Media Marketing With IFTTT Applets, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- How to tame Facebook Ads Manager, 3qdigital.com
- If you tweet emoji at Google, it will reply with local search results, www.theverge.com
- Pinterest Lets Users Know if Ideas Are “Tried and True”, www.adweek.com
- Reddit overhauls upvote algorithm to thwart cheaters and show the site’s true scale, techcrunch.com
- Snapchat Spectacles: Plenty of Buzz, Not a Lot of Product, www.emarketer.com
- The Social Media Puzzle: Stop Playing Mystery Date With Your Customers, www.cmswire.com
- Turner Extends Snapchat Partnership, Takes Aim at Millennials, www.adweek.com
- Using Facebook’s Dynamic Product Ads to Move Holiday Inventory, www.practicalecommerce.com
- How Video Content Complements Multi-Channel Storytelling, www.jeffbullas.com
- The Live Blog: December 6, 2016, media.fb.com